Thursday 8 March 2012

Phenomenal Woman

So as International Women's Day draws to a close I have to say it's been great to hear women talk about the amazing women who have strengthened and inspired their lives and usually it's the women closest to us. Mother, sister, grandmother.
You may or may not know this but half of my degree is in Women's Studies which I completed many years ago now. One familiar writer who cropped up in various modules of my degree was Maya Angelou. Her biography on her website describes her as a poet, novelist, educator, dramatist, producer, actress and civil rights activist. I'm not usually a lover of poetry but this to me is simply beautiful and needs no explanation. x

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me

Maya Angelou, Phenomenal Woman

4 comments:

  1. I remember that from sumwhere.
    But too old to remember where I heard it. ^^ hih
    True tho..so many phenomenal women out there.
    We rule! ^^/ MMxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. Where would the men be without us? xXx

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! So simple... so moving!

    Love & Lollies... Jessa

    Confessions of the Cupcake Countessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Im gonna go check out your blog now. xXx

      Delete